The switch from fossil fuels to clean energy lies at the forefront of the climate change debate. Thanks to technological innovations and rapidly fall costs for wind, solar, and geothermal, we are able to ease our reliance on fossil fuels for energy and reduce the negative impact on our planet and human health.
Our projects’ top-down and bottom-up strategies seek to tackle the unhealthy systemic dependence on dirty energy and shift to a more sustainable future. Earth Island projects organize and advocate for smart climate and clean-energy policies, from the local to the international level that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and increases energy efficiency and conservation. We also conduct research and publish findings to inform the public and hold institutions accountable to their commitments by pushing their divestiture from the fossil fuel economy.
photo by Gavin Fordham / Flickr
Since 2008, CoalSwarm has utilized shared data, news, and informational tools to empower a global anti-coal movement. Built and maintained by their international team of researchers using a unique crowd-sourced approach, the Global Coal Plant Tracker, CoalWire newsletter and the EndCoal website and blog have become powerful analytical tools for governments, institutions and environmental organizations. CoalSwarm’s data has helped inform international climate goals, policies and campaigns.Their work has been used in groundbreaking studies such as Greenpeace’s efforts to curtail coal plant development, and an International Energy Agency expose that coal-derived air pollution contributes to over six million global fatalities per year.
- California Student Sustainability Coalition
- The California Student Sustainability Coalition unites, connects, supports, and empowers students from across California to transform their educational institutions and communities into models of ecological, economic, and social sustainability.
- Center for Safe Energy
- The Center for Safe Energy supports the growth of independent non-governmental environmental organizations in the former Soviet Union (FSU) and links them in joint efforts with their US counterparts. The Center primarily organizes US-FSU professional delegations both here and in the FSU…
- CoalSwarm has created a collaborative informative clearinghouse on coal containing over 4,000 articles. This resource receives over 50,000 page views per week and is used by activists, journalists, researchers, and the general public.
- EcoEquity is a small, activist think tank that has had an outsized impact on the international climate justice debate. It has done this primarily, but not exclusively, by way of the Greenhouse Development Rights project.
- The Historically Black Colleges & Universities Green Fund
- The Historically Black Colleges & Universities Green Fund (HBCUGF) educates students at historically black colleges and universities about environmental sustainability and helps finance building and infrastructure upgrades that reduce energy and water-usage and minimize greenhouse gas emissions, thus improving sustainability of HBCU…
- Rooted in Resilience
- Rooted in Resilience, formally known as Bay Localize, confronts the challenges of climate change and economic recession by boosting our region's capacity to provide for everyone's needs, sustainably and equitably. We achieve this equipping grassroots community leaders with flexible tools, models, and…