The task of aligning, motivating, and inspiring others to protect the environment is a considerable one. Earth Island Institute supports emerging and seasoned activists with the tools and resources they need to evolve and adapt to changing circumstances. Project Directors are in turn, enabled to create leadership among their networks, partnerships, and peers – collectively addressing the growing need for wise, capable, diverse, creative, and sustaining leadership in the movement.
In California, despite the huge threat posed by climate change to human life and ecosystems, the state-run University of California (UC) system holds billions of dollars of investments in fossil fuel industries. California Student Sustainability Coalition’s divestment campaign contributed to the partial withdrawal of $200M in UC investments from coal and tar sands companies. This powerful student movement is collectively creating change by investing in future leaders committed to creating a better tomorrow.
- ALERT – A Locally Empowered Response Team
- ALERT connects oil and public health, making healthy people and healthy communities part of our energy future. We give people the skills and training to deal with health effects from extreme oil activities and empower people to have a voice in what…
- Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT)
- BAWT exists as a vital, comprehensive and ongoing source of support to agencies that lead youth wilderness trips. We believe that urban youth, once exposed to wilderness, have a broadened sense of themselves, each other, and the world around them.
- California Student Sustainability Coalition
- The California Student Sustainability Coalition unites, connects, supports, and empowers students from across California to transform their educational institutions and communities into models of ecological, economic, and social sustainability.
- California Urban Streams Partnership
- The California Urban Streams Partnership is an organization of local, regional and statewide groups in California which advocate for the protection, restoration and stewardship of urban streams. The alliance advocates for: the return of wildlife habitat in urban areas; an increase in…
- The Children in Nature Collaborative
- The Children in Nature Collaborative sponsors forums and events to: Build community awareness of the health benefits of spending unstructured time in nature Create spaces for community dialogue and engagement Provide opportunities for learning and inspiration Promote collaboration and support self–organizing projects…
- EFC West is a member of the Environmental Finance Center Network. The EFCN consists of ten Environmental Finance Centers (EFCs) serving states and territories throughout the United States. By sharing and integrating information, tools and techniques, the EFCs work together and with…
- Generation Waking Up
- GENERATION WAKING UP is a global campaign to ignite a generation of young people to bring forth a thriving, just, sustainable world. We strive to: Awaken in young people a clear sense of who we are as a generation, an understanding of…
- Global Women's Water Initiative
- Global Women's Water Initiative is training a cadre of grassroots women to become water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) experts and social entrepreneurs, unleashing their leadership potential so they can build water technologies, generate income and solve an issue that burdens them the…
- Green Life
- The Green Life peer education self-sufficiency and eco-literacy program teaches incarcerated individuals and those reentering community the importance of a healthy relationship with the Earth. Past and potentially future activities include teaching permaculture principles, life skills, and emotional readiness to inmates inside…
- Los Angeles Wilderness Training
- L.A. Wilderness Training supports adults who work with youth to lead their kids on outdoor adventures. We provide training in leading trips, as well as FREE gear rental.
- Rooted in Community
- RIC is a national network of groups of youth and adults working for food justice. We connect through an annual conference, regional gatherings, curriculum sharing, and our listserve to provide opportunities for alliance and capacity building, sharing of best practices, and meaningful…
- West County DIGS
- We support school gardens in West Contra Costa County by providing resources, advocacy, and partnerships. We build out community's resilience by cultivating wellness, academic achievement, and sustainable practices.