Women’s leadership is essential in addressing community environmental and social issues. Although they constitute more than half the world’s population and produce more than half of the world’s food, women often don’t enjoy equal rights and access to and control over resources. Earth Island projects are working to change this. Our projects invest in the ingenious wisdom of women, and their ability to pioneer innovative community resilience measures. By providing women with training in appropriate technology and entrepreneurship, and giving them a platform to lead, we’re building women-led, community-based models that will strengthen environmental stewardship, improve food security and access to clean energy and water, and guarantee a sustainable future for all.
As water-bearers and family caretakers, women and girls are disproportionately affected by the lack of access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). Spearheaded by Echoing Green Fellow Gemma Bulos, Global Women’s Water Initiative (GWWI) trains women in East Africa to become WASH experts, community educators, and social entrepreneurs, unleashing their leadership potential and enabling them to build water technologies, generate income for their families, and solve pressing community issues. In 2012-2015, GWWI’s Women's Water Training Academy trained 12 teams from Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Not only did the graduates build 107 rainwater harvesting systems, 700 toilets and 427 water filters, they made money and wield power – several have been invited to the decision-making table, influencing local water boards and other policy groups. This literal “ripple effect” has provided clean water and sanitation to over 30,600 people!
- Climate Wise Women
- Climate Wise Women is a global platform for the promotion of women’s leadership on climate change. Through powerful personal narratives, Climate Wise Women gives a human face and voice to an issue that sits squarely at the nexus of the conversation on…
- Global Women's Water Initiative
- Global Women's Water Initiative is training a cadre of grassroots women to become water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) experts and social entrepreneurs, unleashing their leadership potential so they can build water technologies, generate income and solve an issue that burdens them the…
- Transition Earth
- Transition Earth promotes human rights and nature’s rights in a world of unsustainable growth and advocates for global systems change to enable the shift to a sustainable planet for all. Our vision is to foster a healthy, resilient world grounded in holistic,…
- Women's Earth Alliance
- WEA equips women with the skills and tools they need to protect our earth and strengthen communities from the inside out. In some of the most threatened places on earth, WEA leaders are selling clean cookstoves, launching sustainable farms, protecting land rights,…