Young men and women are calling for meaningful civic, economic, social and political participation. After all, they are the ones who will have to live with the consequences of a deteriorating environment. Fortunately, youth have passion and a special talent for invention. They are spearheading new forms of action and activism and generating novel and effective responses to environmental issues. Earth Island Institute encourages and supports youth as project directors and the role of youth in the environmental justice movement overall.
The Youth Environmental Action (YEA) Camp leadership program trains 12-17 year-olds from all over the country to make a difference for a cause they care about – all while having one of the best experiences of their lives. The 2016 summer camp trained 100 teens to get active on causes ranging from climate change to homelessness, and from animal rights to racism.
- Changing Gears
- Changing Gears Bike Shop is a non-profit bike shop that provides full service sales and repairs to the general public, job training to formerly homeless individuals, opportunities for low income people to earn bikes and parts, and a community gathering space for…
- Junior Wildlife Ranger
- A hub for Ranger programs around the country, Junior Wildlife Ranger (formerly National Junior Refuge Rangers) propels childhood curiosity into lasting environmental stewardship. Through an interactive approach to environmental education, the program cultivates an appreciation of our public lands system and the…
- Los Angeles Wilderness Training
- L.A. Wilderness Training supports adults who work with youth to lead their kids on outdoor adventures. We provide training in leading trips, as well as FREE gear rental.
- Rooted in Community
- RIC is a national network of groups of youth and adults working for food justice. We connect through an annual conference, regional gatherings, curriculum sharing, and our listserve to provide opportunities for alliance and capacity building, sharing of best practices, and meaningful…
- Ultimate Civics
- Changing minds, changing culture, changing the Constitution: we work in schools (5-12, university) and communities across the nation to empower youth and adults to challenge corporate power and co-create the democracy we thought we had.